Netflix Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2022/2023 – How to Apply
The Netflix Postgraduate Scholarship 2022 is now open for international students to apply for the world’s leading streaming entertainment service, with over 209 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
In early 2021, Netflix announced its commitment to supporting Black representation in the Film & TV industry to the creative ecosystem in South Africa. Specifically, the company has committed to funding full post-graduate scholarships at higher educational institutions in South Africa to support the formal qualification and training of aspiring Black creatives in the film and TV disciplines.
Netflix has partnered with social investment fund management and advisory firm Tshikululu Social Investments as implementing partner/fund administrator, with the responsibility of successfully executing the project.
The Scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance through full scholarships at partner higher educational institutions in South Africa, as listed below, to support the formal qualification and training of aspiring Black creatives in the film and TV disciplines.
Who should apply:
You need to know who should apply for the 2022/2023 Netflix Postgraduate Scholarship program. Check below to know who should apply.
- Postgraduate students pursuing one-year postgraduate studies in Film, Television, and/or audio-visual related qualification at one of the below-mentioned institutions.
- Black students, as defined by the B-BBEE Code of Conduct (Black, Coloured, or Indian).
- Only South African citizens will be considered.
Undergraduate academic average of 60% minimum, must have completed between the years 2019 and 2021.
Self-funded students (students who have another bursary or NSFAS funding will not qualify).
Partner higher education institutions:
- University of Cape Town
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Pretoria
- Durban University of Technology
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Boston Media House
- AACA Film and Acting School
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
Scholarship amount: Full cost scholarship (specific amount to be confirmed based on actual details of successful scholars). Netflix will consider a minimum of 60% female students.
Terms and Conditions
- Protection of Personal Information: Please do not proceed with this application if you do not agree to this statement.
- All public and private entities must comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA). The purpose of the Act is to put in place conditions for the lawful processing of personal information as well as definitions thereof. Tshikululu will only collect, process, transfer and disclose your personal information for the purpose of rendering its services (either to you or in relation to you), complying with your instructions or the instructions of your mandated/authorized official or representative, verifying your identity, detecting fraud and preventing money laundering, compliance with laws and public duties, monitoring the services provided in order to accurately carry out your instruction or those of your mandated official, to assist in improving Tshikululu’s service and in in the interests of security and crime prevention and analysis in order to assess and improve Tshikululu’s business or the business of Tshikululu associated entities and the services offered as well as for operational, audit, legal, and record-keeping purposes. In addition, Tshikululu may collect necessary information from you directly, from your appointed mandated/authorized official or representative, any Regulator, or other third parties that may hold such information. By completing this application; Tshikululu deems the application as consent, and/or as having obtained consent from other parties whose details you have captured (such as references), to be used by Tshikululu as outlined above. For more information about how Tshikululu manages private information, please refer to the Privacy page on Tshikululu’s website https://tshikululu.org.za/privacy/
- As part of Tshikululu’s zero-tolerance approach to fraud, corruption, and unethical behavior, we have implemented the independently-managed Vuvuzela hotline, enabling stakeholders to anonymously report suspicions of unethical conduct, using the following link http://thehotline.co.za/reports/contact-report.php
You are to tick the box (YES/or NO)
- Are you planning to study for a one-year postgraduate qualification related to filmmaking and/or television? required
- Are your undergraduate studies’ aggregate results a minimum of 60%? required
- Do you fall in the following population group: “Black” as defined in terms of the Broad-based Black Economic Empowerment Codes of Good Practice. (Black, Coloured or Indian)? required
- Are you a South African citizen? required
- Will you be studying at one of the following Universities: – University of Cape Town – University of the Witwatersrand – University of KwaZulu Natal – the University of Johannesburg – Durban University of Technology – Tshwane University of Technology – the University of Pretoria – AFDA – Boston Media House – AACA Film & Acting School required
If you answered ‘No’ to any of the questions above, we regret that you are not eligible to apply for this grant.
Fill the scholarships application form to complete your application.
Netflix Postgraduate Scholarship 2022 deadline: 31 October 2021
This application will close on the 31st of this month.
To apply for next year’s application, you will need to wait till 2022/2023 to apply before the deadline.
Do you want to know more about the scholarship program? Then you need to contact this email address for further information
Visit the Scholarship official website