Applications for the Microsoft Research PhD fellowship are now open and you can submit your proposal after you’ve known the basics as written in this article. The fellowship program is a global program that identifies and empowers the next generation of exceptional computing research talent.
This fellowship program is for students in Europe, Middle East, And Africa. for that reason, they can apply with ease and for free. All you have to do is to read through this article and then submit your proposal, and you are free to get started
Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
Microsoft recognizes the value of diversity in computing and aims to increase the pipeline of talent receiving advanced degrees in computing-related fields to build a stronger and inclusive computing-related research community. They currently offer Ph.D. fellowships in Asia-Pacific, Canada, and the United States. EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), and Lati America.
Over the last two decades, the Microsoft Research Ph.D. fellowship program has supported over 700 fellows around the world, many of whom have gone on to work at Microsoft. Others have gone on to perform pioneering research elsewhere within the technology industry or accept faculty appointments at leading universities.
- $15, 000 USD is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for the academic year 2022-23
- Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with Microsoft Research’s Cambridge, UK lab, or the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI)
- Opportunities will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship
- Ph.D. students must be enrolled at
- a university in EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, or Africa)
- Proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes at Microsoft Research Cambridge; Cloud Infrastructure, Confidential Computing, Future of Work, Health Intelligence, Machine Intelligence
- Students must be entering their third year beyond their Ph.D. program sometime between August 2021 – July 2022 having taken into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, etc
- Ph.D. students must continue to be enrolled at the university at the beginning of the academic year 2022 o forfeit the award. Fellowships are not available for extension. If you are unsure if a particular need for time away will affect the award, you can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at email@example.com
- Payment of the award will be made directly to the university and dispersed according to the University’s policies. Microsoft will have discretion as to how any remaining funds will be used if the student is no longer qualified to receive funding
- Funding is for use only during the recipient’s time in the Ph.D. program; it cannot be used for support in a role past graduation, such as a postdoc or faculty position. Those interested in receiving this fellowship will need to confirm their Ph.D. program starting month and year, as well as their expected graduation month and year
- A recipient of the Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship subject to disciplinary proceedings for inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to discrimination, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding
- Ph.D. students submitting a proposal should be able to communicate about their research (both in writing and verbally) in English
How To Submit Your Proposal
- You can submit your proposal by following the guidelines below.
- Go to the Proposal Submission Page
- Under need an account? Click on “Sign Up”
- You will be prompted to enter your valid email address and then create a password.
- Once you have chosen your password, your account will be created and you will gain access to the portal where you will see on-screen instructions to submit your proposal.
By submitting a proposal for the Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship, you give Microsoft permission to collect and use the personal information you provide to manage your submission. You may withdraw or delete your proposal at any time by contacting us at Microsoft Research Fellowships firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up/Log In Instructions
For New Users:
By clicking “Sign Up”, you will be prompted to enter your email address and create a password. Once you have chosen your password, your account will be created and you will gain access to the portal.
For Returning Users:
“Log In” to the portal using the email address and the password you created when you originally signed up for the portal. If you have forgotten your password, click “Forgot your password?” and follow the prompts to reset your password.
The closing date for the proposal submission is on
Visit the Microsoft Research Ph.D. fellowship Official website here