The 2022 generation Google scholarship was established to help aspiring students pursuing computer science degrees excel in technology and become leaders in the field. Selected students will receive $10,000 USD (for those studying in the US) or $5,000 CAD (for those studying in Canada) for the 2022-2023 school year.
The Generation Google Scholarship will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, demonstrated leadership, and academic performance.
The program is open to students who meet all the minimum qualifications and we strongly encourage students that identify with groups historically excluded from the technology industry, including Women, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, to apply.
Applicants are not required to currently be enrolled in an Associate, Bachelor’s, Masters, or Ph.D. program for the 2021-2023 academic year to apply.
Recipients of one of the following Google Scholarships: Generation Google Scholarship, Google Lime Scholarship, Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship, Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science, and Women Techmakers Scholarship for Gaming are not eligible to reapply.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. program at an accredited university or college in the United States or Canada for the 2022-2023 academic year
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Demonstrate financial need
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for improving the representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology
You will be asked to complete an online application which includes:
- General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
- Family and household information
- Academic transcripts from your current (if you are currently enrolled) and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- Responses to three short answer essay questions
- Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool or respective academic peers (e.g. high school students compared to other high school students).
IMPORTANT: Before starting the application, please have the following ready for upload:
- A PDF copy of your resume (if applicable, please include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on your resume)
- A PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- A PDF copy of your three short-answer responses
2022 Generation Google Scholarship Terms and conditions
The Generation Google Scholarship award must be spent on tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for the student’s classes at their primary university.
Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as full-time students for the 2022-2023 academic year. Enrollment will be verified before the winners are selected, and all scholarship payments will be made directly to the student to be used towards tuition and education-related expenses.
Students under the age of 18 at the time of acceptance must have a parent or guardian sign these scholarship award terms & conditions. We will withhold the award for any scholar who no longer meets the eligibility requirements and revoke the award for any scholar who does not maintain the eligibility requirements. Selected recipients will receive instructions from Google on how to receive the award.
Failure to complete these steps by the specified deadline for the 2022 Generation Google Scholarship will disqualify recipients from receiving the award. Recipients may defer their award for up to one (1) year from the time of originally planned payment on a case by case basis as determined by Google.
Google employees are not eligible to apply for Google scholarships.
Persons who are:
- Residents of embargoed countries,
- Ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or
- Otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply for this scholarship.
For questions email email@example.com.