Study in the UK on a Student visa – Apply from Outside the UK

Learn when and where to apply to study in the UK on a student visa. Those who are looking forward to being a student in the United Kingdom (UK) are to follow the steps to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.


Apply outside the UK

As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have.

You’ll either:
  • give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) to a visa application center
  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document – you’ll also create or sign in to your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
  • Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.
  • How long it takes to get a decision
  • You’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

If you need to give your biometric information at a visa application center, you may be able to pay to get a faster decision. Check if your visa application center offers faster decisions and other services.
Apply inside the UK

You may be able to apply to:
  • extend your Student visa
  • switch to a Student visa from another type of visa

After you apply to Study in the UK on a Student visa

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example, because:

  1. your supporting documents need to be verified
  2. you need to attend an interview
  3. of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)

If you need to change something in your application after you’ve sent it to contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

You can ask to withdraw your application by contacting UKVI. Your fee will only be refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.
After you get a decision

If your application is successful, you’ll get either:
  • a biometric residence permit – if you gave your biometric information at a visa application center
  • a digital immigration status which you can view and prove online – if you used the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app

Get Started

Are you intending to live in one of the Crown Dependencies of the United Kingdom?
The Crown Dependencies are Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man.

  • Select yes and proceed
  • Select your language

You can read the questions in a different language, but your answers must be in English.

All words used in any translation are there to help. The English version of the questions will be used to assess your application.

Please select your language: (Required)

  • English
  • China
  • Русский
  • Türkçe
  • Français
  • Português
  • Español

Confirm your visa type

Confirm what type of visa you want to apply for from the options below. If you are not sure, use the check if you need a UK visa tool, or see the visas and immigration guidance pages for information.

Study in the UK on a Student visa

  • Visit or transit visa
  • Tier 1 (Investor)
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
  • Skilled Worker visa
  • British Nationals (Overseas) visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa
  • Intra-Company Transfer and Graduate Trainee
  • Frontier Worker
  • Short-term student visa
  • Student
  • Child Student
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Charity Worker
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Creative and Sporting
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Religious Worker
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Government Authorised Exchange
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – International Agreement
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Youth Mobility Scheme
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa – Seasonal Worker
  • Global Talent visa
    Startup & Innovator visa
  • Partner Dependent visa – PBS (including Student), Start-up, Innovator or Global Talent dependant partner
  • Child Dependant visa – PBS (including Student), Start-up, Innovator or Global Talent dependant child
  • Overseas Domestic Workers
  • Windrush Scheme Application (Overseas)
  • Appendix FM Partner
  • Appendix FM Child
  • EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit and Travel Permit
  • Exempt Vignette
  • Right of Abode, Returning Resident, UK Ancestry
  • BRP Vignette Transfer
  • Exempt from UK immigration control
  • Working in the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
  • Studying in the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
  • In the UK with refugee leave or with humanitarian protection
  • Child of a current or former member of UK armed forces (HM forces)
  • Partner of a current or former member of UK armed forces (HM forces)
  • A British citizen settled in the UK or in the UK for another reason
  • Member of armed forces subject to immigration control (course F) or the dependant of a member of armed forces subject to immigration control
  • Relevant civilian employee, a former member of UK armed forces (HM forces), or a bereaved family member
  • Other work visas for the UK (non-points-based working visas)
  • Visit, study, work or settle in certain British Crown dependencies, Commonwealth countries, or British overseas territories
  • Return to the UK after you were removed, deported, or left the UK and have won an appeal against an immigration decision made by the Home Office

elect a country to provide your biometrics

To complete your application, you must make arrangements to provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial photographs) with our commercial partner, which may involve attending one of their centres. You will be able to see the options available to you after you have completed your application and continue to our commercial partner’s website.

Enter the country in which you are making your application and wish to provide your biometrics

Check available biometric enrolment locations

You must check the available biometric enrolment locations for your country of application. You will not be able to change your country of application after you have submitted your application.

If you have entered a country where no biometric enrolment location is available, then you will be redirected to another country. If it is difficult for you to travel to the redirected country, then you can change the country where your will be providing your biometrics.

Change the country where your will be providing your biometrics

I have checked available biometric enrolment locations and can travel to a location in my selected country. If no location is available in that country, then I confirm that I can travel to a location in the redirected country.

I am unable to travel to a location in my selected country or, as there is no location available, to the redirected country.
  • eligibility
  • how to apply and required documents
  • fees

Study in the UK on a Student visa

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular situation. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

If you are inactive for 25 minutes you will be automatically logged out.

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to decide whether to grant your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organizations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration, and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Apply HERE

Recommended: Study in Ukraine | Apply for Ukraine Student visa 2021 for International Student