Dick Martin Scholarship Award 2022 in Canada – How to Apply
Dick Martin Scholarship Award 2022 is open for international students who are ready to study in Canada to apply before the deadline.
The CCOHS Council of Governors established this scholarship fund in 2002 in memory of Dick Martin, a tireless health and safety advocate and a pioneer of workplace health and safety in Canada.
Awarded annually, this $3,000 national scholarship is available to any student enrolled, either full-time or part-time, in occupational health and safety-related course or program leading to an occupational health and safety certificate, diploma, or degree at an accredited college or university in Canada. Programs include mine safety, occupational or industrial health, and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management, or other related safety degree program.
To apply for the award, post-secondary students are invited to submit a 1,000-1,200 word essay, cover letter, and completed online application form.
- Two awards of $3,000 each will be granted to one college and one university student.
- An award of $500 will be granted to each of the winning students’ academic institutions.
Any student* enrolled, either full-time or part-time, in occupational health and safety (OHS) related course or program at an accredited Canadian college or university leading to a certificate, diploma, or degree in OHS. Programs include mine safety, occupational or industrial health, and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management, or other related safety programs.
The student does not have to be Canadian however they need to must be enrolled in a Canadian school.
Note: CCOHS employees, children, or relatives of employees are not eligible for this scholarship award.
How to Apply for the Dick Martin Scholarship Award 2022 in Canada
All submissions must include a completed online application form, cover letter, and essay (applicants will be evaluated based on the submission and completion of all three documents). A Selection Committee will score the applications based on the following criteria:
Completed online application form, which includes information such as:
- Applicants name and contact details
- School and program information including program coordinators contact details
- List of applicant’s academic achievements
- Outline of demonstrated leadership and civic activities
- Two references from a non-family member or personal friend
One page cover letter:
- Outlines your aspirations of obtaining a career in the health and safety industry.
- Must be word-processed in a 12-point font, double-spaced
1,000-1,200 word essay on ONE of the following:
- Prevention Essay: Choose a high-risk workplace hazard. How would you work to solve and create awareness about the issue?
- Technical Essay: Research an existing or emerging hazard or risk (coverage may include how to identify, assess and control the risks).
Essay and Cover Letter will be judged on the following criteria:
- Word processed in a 12-point font, double-spaced.
- Word count must be included.
- Pages must be numbered.
- Essays must include a bibliography.
- Applicant’s name must NOT appear on any page of the essay.
Marks on the entire application package will be weighted as follows:
- Application – 15%
- Letter– 25%
- Essay – 60%
The Essay will be evaluated based on:
- Intellectual content (original, thought-provoking) – 50%
- Practical value – 20%
- Theoretical value – 20%
- Presentation and style – 10%
Applications submitted with missing information from the list above will be evaluated as is.
All essays submitted become the property of CCOHS. Successful essays will be published by CCOHS and maybe, along with information about the winners, shared widely through the scholarship’s website, government agencies, and media.
Applications will be accepted starting October 1st, of each year through our online application form. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Essays are to be received no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on January 31st of each year. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered.
Note: All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision.