Apply to Stay in the UK as a Stateless Person

You can apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person if both of the following apply:

You must currently be in the UK to apply.


If you cannot return to another country because you fear persecution there, you should claim asylum first.

If you’ve already claimed asylum or have outstanding human rights claim, you must wait until you have a decision. You can apply to stay as a stateless person if it’s refused.

How long you can stay

You can normally stay in the UK for 5 years if you’re given permission to stay (known as ‘leave to remain’). You can apply for settlement or further leave when your leave expires.

Family members

You must include your partner and children under 18 (your ‘dependants’) in your application if they’re already in the UK with you.

If they’re outside the UK, they can apply for permission to come to the UK (‘entry clearance’) once their application has been approved.

Documents you must provide

You must provide these documents, if you have them, for you and your dependents:

  • current passports and other travel documents, such as visas
  • official letters confirming your immigration status (with the reference number ASL.2150, ASL.2151, or ASL.2152)
  • birth certificates
  • marriage certificates

You’ll also need to provide as many documents as you can to prove that you’re stateless. You should also provide documents for your dependents if they’re stateless. Find out more about the caregiver jobs with visa sponsorship in the UK

These can include:

  • identity, immigration, and travel documents
  • documents that prove where you lived before coming to the UK, for example, school certificates, medical records, or sworn statements from neighbors
  • documents from your applications for citizenship or requests for proof of nationality in other countries

If you think you have the right to live in a country that is not the UK, you’ll also need to show you’ve tried to get the nationality of that country.

Read the application form for a full list of documents you can provide.

How to Apply

You must apply online.

It does not cost anything to apply.

You’ll be asked to make an appointment at a Service and Support Centre to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo) and have your supporting documents checked.

Apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person

You can use this form if you want to stay in the UK because:

  • you are stateless, which means that you are not recognized as a national of any country
  • you do not have the right to reside in any other country

Before you apply

Before you start your application, read the FLR(S) guidance on:

  • eligibility
  • how to apply and required documents

This application includes an application for a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How long it takes you to complete the application will depend on your particular circumstances. You will be able to save your application and come back to it at another time if you need to.

Read also: Apply for Student Visa 2022 In US, Canada, UK, France – When & How to Apply

If you are inactive for 25 minutes, you will be automatically logged out.

You must submit your documents within 10 working days of submitting your online application. If you do not do this, your application may be rejected.

Biometric information

As part of the application process, you are also required to apply for a biometric immigration document, commonly known as a biometric residence permit (BRP).

How we use your data

The Home Office will use the personal information you provide to consider your application. We may also share your information with other public and private sector organizations in the UK and overseas. For more detail please see the Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration, and Citizenship system. This also sets out your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and explains how you can access your personal information and complain if you have concerns about how we are using it.

Note: This form is for those who are currently in the UK.
This form is only for people who are applying within the UK.

You must apply for a visa using the forms which can be found here

Apply Now

UK Government Apprenticeships and Traineeships