- Advertisement-

Apply for Nonimmigrant Visas to the U.S for International Student – Get Approval to Travel to the U.S.

Nonimmigrant Visas to the U.S. For International Student

How to apply for ESTA and get approval to travel to the U.S. for students, before you can apply for Nonimmigrant Visas to the U.S for International student, work visa, etc, you need to confirm whether or not you need to apply for a visa.

If you are sure you want to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, please kindly follow the simple steps below to apply. We are going to lecture you on how to apply for different types of nonimmigrant visas for tourists, students, business travelers, and future spouses. Also, learn more or get more information about the Visa Waiver Program, and how to get a job in the United States as a foreign worker.

How to Apply for a Nonimmigrant Visa

There are 5 steps to apply for Nonimmigrant Visas to the U.S.

Step 1.
For Nonimmigrant Visa applicants:
Ascertain your Visa type by studying Common Nonimmigrant Visas. Each visa type reveals the qualifications and application items. Select the visa type that applies to your situation.

Make sure you review the Visa Waiver Program. If your country participates in the visa waive program, you don’t have to apply for a visa if you are traveling for business or pleasure and will only be staying in the United State of America for 90 days or less.

The moment you know the correct visa type, then you must pay the visa fee. The Visa fee page made the full lists for the visa types and correlating visa fees in United States currency (US dollars) and native currency.
To pay the visa fee, you need to read the Bank and Payment Options page. The bank and payment options page explain how you can make the visa fee payment. it is important to keep your receipt number to book your visa appointment.

Step 3.
The next step to be taken is to complete the DS-160 application form. Make sure you read the Guidelines carefully to complete the DS-160 form from the DS-160 page. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you cannot make any changes to the application page. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator. Know that the call center will never help you complete your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.

Step 4.

Create a Profile

You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment!

Nonimmigrant Visas to the U.S. For International Student
U.S Visa Dashboard

Therefore you need to create a profile in our system. How can I create my profile? There a link that will guide you to create a new user but we are going to show you how to create your profile.
Complete all fields and create a user ID and password. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard.
If you already have a profile, please do not create a new one. You can always modify your existing profile by logging in using your user ID and password. If you have lost your password, please simply retrieve it by clicking “Forgot Your Password?” If you are a first time user, click New “User?” to create your profile.
On the left-hand side, click on Schedule Appointment.
This will start the process of scheduling your appointment. For each applicant being scheduled you will need:

  • The applicant’s passport number
  • The receipt number from GT Bank receipt or from any other bank you used.
  • The ten (10) digit barcode number from the applicant’s DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you have to select your visa type, enter your personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment and finally, schedule your appointment.

Step 5.
There is a link where you will be able to access the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview. We advise you to always check the Schedule My Appointment page for the necessary documentation needed for your appointment.

- Advertisement -

Step 6.
The moment your visa is approved, the visa will be sent to the document drop-off location you selected when you scheduled your appointment. Click to apply here

How to Apply Online for a Business or Tourism Visitor Visa to the U.S.

If you are planning a brief visit to the U.S. for business or tourism, You need to apply for a visitor or a transit visa. These are the steps you should take:

Find out if you need a visa

Check to find out if your country participates in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you don’t see your country listed, you will need a nonimmigrant visa to visit the U.S.

Determine which visa you might need for your visit.

Most business and tourism travelers use B-1 and B-2 visitor visas.

  • B-1 visa classification is for business travelers to consult with business associates, attend a conference, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract.
  • B-2 visa classification is for tourists on vacation and people coming for medical treatment, a social event, or participation in amateur contests for no pay.

Transit visas are less common.

  • Transit C visa classification is main for foreign nationals traveling through the U.S. to another country and stopping briefly in the U.S. as part of their travel to the next foreign destination.
  • Transit C-1, D, and C-1/D visas are for crewmembers of sea vessels or international airlines traveling to the U.S.

Apply for a visa.

The process of applying for a visa will vary depending on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Follow the specific instructions for the country that you’re in.

In general, you will need:

To complete online form DS-160, the nonimmigrant visa application form

  • A photo
  • A visa application fee
  • To schedule an interview

Student and Vocational Training Visas

Kindly note: In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State is temporarily suspending routine visa services at all U.S. embassies and consulates.


An international student can apply for a student or exchange visitor visa only after being accepted by a school certified in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Students’ records are kept in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Types of Educational Visas

Your course of study, the school you plan to attend, or the exchange program you will be with will determine the type of student visa you will need.

The most common student visas are F-1 and M-1 visas.

  • F-1 visa classification is for a full-time international student pursuing academic studies.
  • M-1 visa classification is for a full-time international student pursuing vocational studies.

Try to check the differences (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) between F-1 visas and M-1 visas, and also how to apply.

  • J-1 visa classification is also known as the exchange visitor program (EVP) and is mainly for foreign nationals approved to participate in work or study-based exchange programs.
  • Examples include;
    • visiting scholar,
    • camp counselor, or
    • research assistant.

Learn how to apply for a J-1 visa.

The duration of stay for J-1 visa holders depends on the agreement between you and your Department of State approved sponsoring organization. Find a Department of State approved sponsoring organization or program. Learn more about studying in the U.S.

Getting a Job in the U.S. as a Foreign Worker

Based on your skills, circumstances, and the job that you plan to get or do in US, you may be able to come to the United States as either a:

  • A temporary or permanent foreign worker, or a
  • Temporary visitor for business

Under certain circumstances, you may also be able to work in the U.S. if you’re a foreign student or an exchange visitor.

Get a Work Visa

As a foreign worker, is very important to have a visa to get a job in the U.S. Each type of visa has unique requirements, conditions, and time limits.

Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) Working in the U.S. web page for an outline of each worker category and type of visa.

Use the Department of State’s visa wizard to find:

  • The visa you need
  • The application process
  • Fees
  • Estimated wait time for a visa interview

Your Rights and Protections as a Temporary Foreign Worker

  • As a temporary foreign worker in the U.S., you will not be denied a visa or be punished by U.S. govenment because you have exercised your rights under U.S. laws. Learn your rights and protections.
  • If you violate the terms of your work visa, it could be revoked. a decision may be taken for you to be deported, arrested, or denied re-entry into the U.S. again.
  • If you think you or someone you know is being brought to the U.S. for human trafficking, you can contact the U.S. help desk.

Download forms for your fiancé(e) to petition for your visa and for you to apply for authorization to work. Find these on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services fiancé(e) visas portal.

Application should be submitted online before the deadline.


Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.