Job: Emergency Management Deputy Officer Needed At City of Austin, US- How to Apply
What you need before you can apply for the latest Job: Emergency Management Deputy Officer in Austin, Texas United States.
This vibrant and dynamic city tops many lists for business, entertainment, and quality of life. One of the country’s most popular, high-profile “green” and culturally.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Emergency Management, or a field related to the job, Homeland Security/Emergency Management experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
- Five (5) years of related Homeland Security/Emergency Management experience, two (2) years of which were in a supervisory capacity.
- Ability to pass and maintain a security background check.
- A Master’s degree in a field related to Homeland Security/Emergency Management may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Certified Emergency Manager ( CEM ) by the International Association of Emergency Managers, or the ability to acquire certification within one (1) year of employment.
- Valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License.
Notes to Applicants
The Emergency Management Deputy Officer supports the Director of the City of Austin’s Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management in overseeing strategic planning and ensuring operational readiness for the City of Austin. The Deputy Officer is responsible for directing the Emergency Operations Center ( EOC ) before and during activations.
This position will:
- Support the Director and fulfill the responsibility of the Director in his/her absence
- Develop and maintain emergency preparedness program plans
- Respond to emergency situations associated with events that affect public safety
- Plan and implement training programs
- Maintain contact with government officials and related organizations
- Coordinate financial planning activities including preparing annual budgets
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Ability to define, analyze and find solutions for difficult, complex problems
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team, especially in high-stress, evolving situations
- Ability to lead, train and motivate others to achieve organizational success
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment while ensuring organizational direction and alignment
- Flexibility with regard to work hours and the ability to work extended periods during an activation of the EOC
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A cover letter is required. In the cover, letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
This position requires a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Hours may vary due to operational needs.
This position is considered essential and will be required to report to the Emergency Operations Center ( EOC ), as directed in advance, or in response to an emergency, and may include nights (overnights), weekends, holidays, etc.
Job Close Date 12/13/2021
Type of Posting External
Department Management Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 5010 Old Manor Road
- Experience providing oversight during emergencies, disasters, and major incidents such as flooding, wildfires, ice storms, and other natural and man-made disasters
- Experience developing plans, procedures, and strategies
- Experience developing and implementing continuity of operations plans and programs
- Experience managing homeland security grants programs, projects, and/or major initiatives
- Experience managing critical infrastructure protection programs
- Experience analyzing risk and implementing improvement programs
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with city/community leaders and develop partnerships
- Successful completion of National Incident Management System training (IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-800)
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must possess the required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Skill in operations of various software
- Skill in handling extremely intense and chaotic emergency situations
- Skill in oral and written communication, including presentations
- Skill in planning, organizing, and monitoring personal and subordinate employee work assignments
- Skill in facilitating cooperative group decision making among diverse organizations and individuals serving on planning committees
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and in making presentations to large groups
- Ability to deal effectively and cooperatively with a wide range of local, state, and federal government officials, the news media, and private business people
Job: Emergency Management Deputy Officer
Austin, Texas United States
Follow us on Telegram for more updates ====>> US, UK, Canada Travel, Scholarship & VISA Updates